What is the synonym of belie?
In this page you can discover 53 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for belie, like: disguise, falsify, misstate, miscolor, gainsay, give-the-lie-to, prove false, repudiate, mislead, deny and refute.
How do you use the word belie?
Belie in a Sentence 🔉
- Janice hoped her smile would belie the sadness she felt.
- In an attempt to belie the vehicle’s high mileage, the car salesman turned back the speedometer on the car.
- The woman hoped her excessive shopping would fool her friends and belie the truth about her empty bank account.
What is an example of belie?
An example of belie is for a newspaper to provide the wrong facts about a story. To give a false idea of; disguise or misrepresent. His smile belies his anger.
What is the plural of belie?
6 years ago. So, The difference is: Beliefs is the plural of a noun belief. Believes is the use of a verb believe in third-person singular simple present. Confusing(1)
What is the closest antonym for the word belie?
How do you pronounce belie?
Here are 4 tips that should help you perfect your pronunciation of ‘belie’:
- Break ‘belie’ down into sounds: [BI] + [LY] – say it out loud and exaggerate the sounds until you can consistently produce them.
- Record yourself saying ‘belie’ in full sentences, then watch yourself and listen.
Does belie mean contradict?
To belie means to contradict. If you are 93 but look like you are 53, then your young looks belie your age. We get belie from the Old English beleogan, which meant “to deceive by lying.” It suggests characteristics or behavior that inadvertently or deliberately hide the truth.
Which is the closest antonym for the word belie?
What part of speech is belie?
|part of speech:||transitive verb|
|inflections:||belies, belying, belied|
|definition 1:||to give a false impression of. His youthful appearance belies his age. synonyms: misrepresent antonyms: bespeak, reveal similar words: betray, camouflage, conceal, disguise, exaggerate, falsify, mask, understate|
What is the root word of belie?
belie (v.) Old English beleogan “to deceive by lies,” from be- + lie (v.