What are five instructional strategies that you can use to accommodate the ELL students in your classroom?
How can I support ELLs in my classroom?
- Provide a welcoming classroom environment.
- Know and include the student.
- Modify your speech.
- Provide opportunities for interaction.
- Support literacy development.
- Reading Instruction.
- Development of Writing Skills.
- Support ELLS in the content areas: Math, Social Studies, Science.
How did the legal case Lau v Nichols affect the policies and laws governing language instruction?
The Impact The Lau v. Nichols case ended in a unanimous decision in favor of bilingual instruction to help non-native English speaking students improve their English language competency. The case eased the transition into education for students whose first language was not English.
What are English language Services Act?
What are English Language Learner Services? The Office of Civil Rights within the United States Department of Education interprets the Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 regulatory requirements as prohibiting the denial of equal access to education because of a student’s limited proficiency in English.
What are instructional strategies for ELL students?
Your Weekly Eureka Moment
- Cultivate Relationships and Be Culturally Responsive.
- Teach Language Skills Across the Curriculum.
- Emphasize Productive Language.
- Speak Slowly—and Increase Your Wait Time.
- Differentiate—and Use Multiple Modalities.
- Incorporate Students’ Native Languages—and Don’t Be Afraid of Technology.
What instructional supports are available for ELLs?
Thirteen Instructional Strategies for Supporting ELL Newcomers
- Picture Word Inductive Model (PWIM) In the PWIM, students and teachers first label an image with words, then categorize them, followed by using the words to write sentences about the picture.
- Language Experience Approach (LEA)