What are common scams in India?
The 7 Most Common Tourist Scams in India
- The Broken Taxi Meter. Mumbai Taxis.
- The Fake SIM Card. To save on cell phone costs when traveling, it’s a good idea to buy a local SIM card.
- The Non-Existent Hotel.
- The Counterfeit Currency Swap.
- The Dodgy Train Ticket.
- The Baby Milk Begging Scam.
- The Costly Blessing.
What are the most common scams?
- Advance Fee Scams.
- Tech Support Scams.
- Emergency Scams.
- IRS or Government Imposter Scams.
- Foreign Money Exchange Scams.
- Counterfeit Cashier’s Checks.
- Bogus Debts.
Are there scams in India?
As part of their Social Security scam, India-based callers pose as federal agents in order to mislead victims into believing that their Social Security numbers were involved in crimes. As part of the IRS scam, the callers pose as IRS employees and tell victims that they owe back taxes.
Which is the biggest scams in India?
- Harshad Mehta.
- securities scam (₹50 billion)
- Palmolein Oil Import Scam (Kerala)
- Indian Bank scandal (₹13 billion)
- Airbus scandal.
- Hawala scandal.
- SNC-Lavalin Kerala hydroelectric scandal (₹3.74 billion)
- Prem Khandu Thungan graft case.
How phone scams work?
Telephone Scams. Telephone scammers try to steal your money or personal information. Scams may come through phone calls from real people, robocalls, or text messages. Callers often make false promises, such as opportunities to buy products, invest your money, or receive free product trials.
How many scams are there?
Top 10 scams by reports
|Scam category||Number of reports|
|Online shopping scams||6,334|
|Remote access scams||4,695|
What is the punishment for scamming in India?
The maximum punishment for frauds as specified in Section 447 is imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than six months but which may extend to ten years and fine which shall not be less than the amount involved in the fraud but may extend to three times the amount involved in fraud.