Can you discipline a 20 month old?
At 20 months old, your toddler doesn’t understand punishment or the lesson she’s supposed to learn from it. As such, discipline at this age is really about guidance as your tot learns right from wrong. These simple strategies will help you to show her the way. Offer lots of praise.
How do you discipline a 20 month old for hitting?
The best way to discipline a toddler is to teach her acceptable ways to behave. Keep a close eye on your toddler when she plays with other children. The moment she starts to hit, bite, or push, remove her from the situation and gently but firmly remind her that hitting is not okay.
What is the most effective method of discipline for a toddler?
Time-out. Time-out is one of the most effective disciplinary techniques available to parents of young children, aged two years through primary school years (5). The time-out strategy is effective because it keeps the child from receiving attention that may inadvertently reinforce inappropriate behaviour.
What are 3 discipline techniques that work well for toddlers?
- Show and tell. Teach children right from wrong with calm words and actions.
- Set limits. Have clear and consistent rules your children can follow.
- Give consequences.
- Hear them out.
- Give them your attention.
- Catch them being good.
- Know when not to respond.
- Be prepared for trouble.
How do you punish a toddler for hitting?
What should you do when your toddler hits?
- Restrain them physically. Your instinct may be to physically hold your toddler back when they are trying to hit others.
- Remove your child from the situation.
- Discuss alternatives.
- Provide emotional support.
- Prevent hitting before it begins.
How do I get my toddler to listen without yelling?
- How to get toddlers to listen without yelling.
- Tell your toddler what she should do.
- Redirect your toddler to a similar but more appropriate activity.
- Give your toddler choices.
- Turn off all distractions.
- Change your toddler’s physical environment.
- Follow through with natural consequences.
- Walk away.
Why does a toddler hit his mother?
Their reasons for hitting are innocent enough—and they usually fall into one of these categories. She’s trying to communicate. Like everyone else, toddlers get bored, hungry, tired, and overwhelmed. The difference is they lack the verbal skills to communicate these emotions, which can make them even more frustrated.